The new find bar shifting down content

Rob Campbell rcampbell at mozilla.com
Wed Aug 21 13:57:56 UTC 2013

Add me to the list of people not happy with this change. I'd like to see it reverted until we come up with a better solution (I have one below).

There are too many absolute positioned elements on the web. The shifting is eye-grabbing and distracting. Many pages are going to have something shifting around with this solution unless we make the toolbar not affect the content's dimensions. This runs the risk of overlaying something useful which is a separate difficult problem.

Also, the animating Find bar draws my eye to it and forces me to look at the awkward animation. I'm sure that's a fixable problem, but the content shifting is going to be trickier unless we redesign the findbar entirely.

Alternative:

Could we repurpose our Web Search input field for Find in Page? People already use it for "Searching". It's persistent and never moves, and our existing hotkeys could update the current Search Engine to a new Find in Page search engine that would drive the searches.

Entering a term in the Web Search field could also provide auto-suggestions from within the page.

Your currently-selected search engine would return when you're done searching (after an ESC).

For a not super great of this, see Safari Mobile on iPad. When you focus their search field, a separate Find on Page toolbar appears at the bottom of the screen.

~ rob