The new find bar shifting down content

Ehsan Akhgari ehsan.akhgari at gmail.com
Tue Aug 20 21:13:36 UTC 2013

On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 4:45 PM, Gavin Sharp <gavin at gavinsharp.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 1:35 PM, Ehsan Akhgari <ehsan.akhgari at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >> - can we usefully mitigate the negative impact to that subset?
> >
> > We certainly can.  See my proposal in the first email, please.  Actually
> I'm
> > a bit disappointed that we're not talking about that proposal, and only
> are
> > focusing on whether it's OK to keep the current behavior or not.  The
> > current and the old behavior are not the only two possible alternatives
> > here.
>
> "without changing approaches entirely" was implied. But that's an
> option too, obviously. I was making a generic point about how we deal
> with and address feedback, and you're replying point-by-point with
> very specific answers, so we're kind of talking past each other here.

Haha I re-read the thread, and you're right.  This was not my intention
however, I find it very hard to go from the general principles that I think
everybody in this discussion agrees on to the current issue at hand.  :-)

> The burden isn't on you to answer all of these questions, we need to
> answer them as a development team in general before shipping the
> feature.

Fair enough.

> People should chime in if they have strong feelings for the current
> design over a design like Chrome's that you're proposing. (It would
> also be useful to re-summarize why we made the change to begin with,
> there isn't much in the bug.)
>
> > I have no interest in building a browser that works fine for me
> personally
> > -- The reason that I'm providing UX feedback in this form is that I don't
> > believe that the set of people who experience this is only me.  It's
> fine if
> > you're willing to assert that I am indeed the only person who experience
> > this kind of negative response as a result of shifting the content
> up/down.
>
> I'm not asserting that, I'm saying we should use the feedback channels
> we have to try to determine it.

OK, makes sense.

>  > However, I would feel a lot better if somebody came up with reasons why
> > shifting the content up/down is actually desired.
>
> I see it as a neutral side effect of the implementation rather than a
> goal, but maybe that's not right.

I hope that the blinking content analogy, however poor it might be, can
help explain why this won't be a neutral side effect for at least some of
our users.

Cheers,
--
Ehsan