The new find bar shifting down content

Markus Stange mstange at themasta.com
Tue Aug 20 20:56:32 UTC 2013

On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 9:04 PM, Gavin Sharp <gavin at gavinsharp.com> wrote:

> I find it surprising that you feel this way, because I haven't heard a
> lot of negative feedback about the shifting itself (aside from some
> issues with the animation/fade that have since been fixed).

You can add me to the negative feedback list, too. I had hoped that bug
893446 would be enough of a fix, but in practice it seems that the
percentage of web pages where it doesn't work is unexpectedly high. And the
experience in the failure cases is really bad, especially the
double-transition which I introduced: first the findbar animates in, and
the page shifts afterwards (instead of both transitions happening at the
same time).

> My experience has been that training myself to look up rather than
> down to see what I'm searching for has been the most jarring change,
> but that's caused by the change rather than inherent to the new
> solution.

It's the other way round for me. I found it really easy to adapt to the new
position, but the content shift catches me off guard each time it happens.
I don't get motion sickness from it; to me the experience feels like a
table-cloth is pulled out from under me. This comes along with a sense of
loss of control, which is quite jarring.

> I would like to advocate for the following solution:
>
> * Overlay the content as opposed to shifting it down when opening the find
> bar
> * Don't adjust the scroll origin like the patch in bug 893446 does
> * Shift down the content *if* the found text is at the very top of the
page

This might work. But it still will mean that hiding the findbar causes a
shift if case 3 occurred at any point during the time the findbar was
opened. (We probably shouldn't undo the shift when the text in the findbar
changes such that text at the very top no longer matches as long as the
findbar is open.)

-Markus