The new find bar shifting down content

Gavin Sharp gavin at gavinsharp.com
Tue Aug 20 20:45:57 UTC 2013

On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 1:35 PM, Ehsan Akhgari <ehsan.akhgari at gmail.com> wrote:
>> - can we usefully mitigate the negative impact to that subset?
>
> We certainly can.  See my proposal in the first email, please.  Actually I'm
> a bit disappointed that we're not talking about that proposal, and only are
> focusing on whether it's OK to keep the current behavior or not.  The
> current and the old behavior are not the only two possible alternatives
> here.

"without changing approaches entirely" was implied. But that's an
option too, obviously. I was making a generic point about how we deal
with and address feedback, and you're replying point-by-point with
very specific answers, so we're kind of talking past each other here.
The burden isn't on you to answer all of these questions, we need to
answer them as a development team in general before shipping the
feature.

People should chime in if they have strong feelings for the current
design over a design like Chrome's that you're proposing. (It would
also be useful to re-summarize why we made the change to begin with,
there isn't much in the bug.)

> I have no interest in building a browser that works fine for me personally
> -- The reason that I'm providing UX feedback in this form is that I don't
> believe that the set of people who experience this is only me.  It's fine if
> you're willing to assert that I am indeed the only person who experience
> this kind of negative response as a result of shifting the content up/down.

I'm not asserting that, I'm saying we should use the feedback channels
we have to try to determine it.

> However, I would feel a lot better if somebody came up with reasons why
> shifting the content up/down is actually desired.

I see it as a neutral side effect of the implementation rather than a
goal, but maybe that's not right.

Gavin