The new find bar shifting down content

Robert Strong rstrong at mozilla.com
Tue Aug 20 20:36:54 UTC 2013

On 8/20/2013 1:13 PM, Gavin Sharp wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 12:19 PM, Ehsan Akhgari
> <ehsan.akhgari at gmail.com <mailto:ehsan.akhgari at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Yes, I know that this is surprising to some people.  Through
>     talking to various people (and yes this is anecdotal evidence),
>     some share this level of distraction by motion as I have, and some
>     other people don't have any idea what I'm talking about!  :-)  So,
>     can we please assume that this is a problem for a subset of people
>     for the rest of this conversation?
>

> I haven't been assuming otherwise - _any_ change we make is a problem
> for a subset of people :) The questions are:
>
> - how big is that subset?
> - is it bigger than the set of people benefiting from the change?
> (subjective tradeoff alert!)
> - can we usefully mitigate the negative impact to that subset?
I am concerned that this along with other changes fall into a "death by
a thousand cuts" category that pushes people that are currently using
Firefox away to another browser. For example, someone that is used to
seeing the findbar on the bottom or the recent search changes that make
the url bar and search use the same engine could easily as I see it be
enough for someone to give another browser a try. I realize that
managing this is an art in itself... just pointing out that evaluating
individual changes without taking into account the sum of changes could
easily become a "death by a thousand cuts".

Robert