The new find bar shifting down content

Gavin Sharp gavin at gavinsharp.com
Tue Aug 20 20:13:53 UTC 2013

On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 12:19 PM, Ehsan Akhgari <ehsan.akhgari at gmail.com>wrote:

> Yes, I know that this is surprising to some people.  Through talking to
> various people (and yes this is anecdotal evidence), some share this level
> of distraction by motion as I have, and some other people don't have any
> idea what I'm talking about!  :-)  So, can we please assume that this is a
> problem for a subset of people for the rest of this conversation?

I haven't been assuming otherwise - _any_ change we make is a problem for a
subset of people :) The questions are:

- how big is that subset?
- is it bigger than the set of people benefiting from the change?
(subjective tradeoff alert!)
- can we usefully mitigate the negative impact to that subset?

What kind of feedback are you looking for?  I've mostly stopped using the
> findbar completely.  I don't expect people who do not experience this
> motion related issue to be annoyed by this change much (at least, not
> beyond the "OMG change" reaction.)

Shipping to beta should be helpful in getting better answers to the first
couple of questions above, basically.

>  My contention is that even with all of those fixes uplifted, we'd not be
> in a shippable state.

That's fine - regardless, we need to keep our buglists in order. :)

> One thought experiment here which might be helpful here is if somebody can
> write an add-on to do something really distracting every time that the
> findbar gets opened and closed (such as, I don't know, blinking the entire
> content area in red for three seconds?!) and then have people use the
> findbar in their normal browsing.  I don't think that UX feedback without
> taking the downsides of the current approach for people like me is going to
> help much here, since without that in mind, there is no problem to be
> solved here.

I don't think that would be useful :) We (including the UX people I asked
for feedback) can take you at your word when you say that this is "really
distracting" to you. (From my perspective, it's a little bit difficult to
empathize given the strong negative reaction you're describing and the
relative change I've personally experienced, but hey, sometimes empathy is
hard, and it's kind of our job.) But we aren't going to base Firefox design
decisions solely on "how this impacts Ehsan", so we need to focus on
determining to what degree your negative reactions are widespread across
our (current and potential future) user base, as well as try to weigh the
pros/cons of the other ways forward (the alternative design you've
suggested, other smaller tweaks, etc.).

Gavin