Breaking url-bar search

William Pietri william at scissor.com
Mon Aug 19 16:14:02 UTC 2013

On 08/19/2013 09:05 AM, Tyler Downer wrote:
>> Ok. That back-of-the-envelope calculation was my way of trying to
>> reconcile your theory that there are only thousands of users affected
>> with the fact that within a couple of weeks 760 people have found and
>> installed this extension. That seems an impossibly large uptake rate
>> to me given the number of steps involved and typical user behaviors.
>> How would you reconcile the two facts?
> Honestly that's a pretty low number, seeing that 1 of them is me ;)
> (and likely most users are Mozilla employees, Community members, and
> then users from the SUMO Threads where we regularly promote this
> add-on), so no, 700-800 users for an add-on is pretty small.

Hi, Tyler. Sorry I'm not being clear.

I'm not saying that 760 users for an add-on is large or small. I have no
idea. I'm saying that an uptake rate of 760 in 13 days from a total
population of "thousands" seems impossibly high to me. (I also gave a
numerical model to make clear why I think that.)

My explanation for this is that the total population of potential users
is much larger than thousands, which suggests the impact of this change
was substantially undersestimated.

William