Removal of "Enable JavaScript" and "Load images automatically" in Firefox 23

Gavin Sharp gavin at gavinsharp.com
Wed Aug 14 17:28:03 UTC 2013

On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 9:12 AM, Dão Gottwald <dao at design-noir.de> wrote:
> This is helpful for users who regularly surf like this, although (1) I'm not
> convinced these users should have to resort to an add-on and (2) it seems
> somewhat schizophrenic to promote this add-on when it still "breaks Google"
> (the reason why we removed the checkbox, as far as I remember).

1) is a pretty subjective argument, so I'm not sure we can
conclusively reach agreement. Re: 2), "It breaks Google" was not the
reason to remove the checkbox - it was just an example of how the
effects of the preference are not useful to the vast majority of
people browsing the Web. The reason we removed the checkbox was that
the preference was deemed not useful enough to merit a spot in the
preference pane.

> For users who unexpectedly have to deal with a borderline-unusably-slow
> connection on the road (fwiw, this actually happened to me a few years ago
> in an airport and my solution was to disable images), searching the internet
> for an add-on is exactly what you don't want to do in such a situation.

If we care to address this use case - I'm not sure that we do - there
are far more discoverable and useful options that we could implement
(low-bandwidth mode, etc.). Of course, I recognize that that's not
useful to the people who had gotten used to using this feature to
address this use case (poorly), but I assert that that loss is not so
great that it outweighs the benefits.

Gavin