Removal of "Enable JavaScript" and "Load images automatically" in Firefox 23

Dão Gottwald dao at design-noir.de
Wed Aug 14 08:22:32 UTC 2013

On 13.08.2013 21:34, C B wrote:
> I am curious about "breaks Google". I just turned off javascript and
> image loading (Firefox 22, I will not upgrade until the options are
> restored), and Google worked just fine.

 From <http://limi.net/checkboxes-that-kill>:

"Here’s how Google’s front page looks like if you uncheck that box:
[...] That’s right, you can’t even see the text box you’re supposed to
type your search into. Congratulations, we just broke the Internet."

Of course you got the same result when disabling images in IE or Chrome
or via site preferences as Firefox still has them. And since both HTML
and CSS specs state that user agents may refuse to download images
(<http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/embedded-content-1.html#attr-img-src>,
<http://www.w3.org/TR/respimg-usecases/#user-control-over-sources>),
that was just a bug that should have been reported to Google. Indeed, I
just tested it, and it appears to be fixed on Google's end.

Dao