The new find bar shifting down content

Ehsan Akhgari ehsan.akhgari at gmail.com
Tue Aug 13 17:47:12 UTC 2013

On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 5:53 AM, Gervase Markham <gerv at mozilla.org> wrote:

> On 13/08/13 00:15, Ehsan Akhgari wrote:
> > I find the new behavior of the find bar to shift down the whole content
> > when it opens up extremely jarring.
>
> This doesn't happen for me in yesterday's nightly; has the behaviour
> changed recently?

See bug 893446.  I'm writing this email because I believe that fix to be
insufficient.  Also see the points I raised about it in my email.

> I agree that shifting content is irritating. However, a full-width
> overlay is also irritating - even if there is nothing important behind
> the bar, it affects my equanimity that I suddenly can't see part of the
> top of the page. There is also, on my 1920px wide monitor, an enormous
> useless expanse of greyness right across the middle of the bar, which
> seems wasteful.

I agree, but isn't that an orthogonal problem of sorts?

>  > Chrome has solved this problem by overlaying content as opposed to
> > shifting it down, and the way their implementation works their find bar
> > spans over part of the browser window width, and they shift it to the
> > left or right if it happens to overlay a found piece of text.
>
> I think this would be the right solution. If we start in the top right,
> I suspect that the bar would rarely need to move.

Yeah, that's what Chrome does (we should probably be smart and default to
top left for RTL pages, but yeah).

> > I would like to advocate for the following solution:
> >
> > * Overlay the content as opposed to shifting it down when opening the
> > find bar
> > * Don't adjust the scroll origin like the patch in bug 893446 does
> > * Shift down the content *if* the found text is at the very top of the
> page
>
> I would add: "build a find bar which does not occupy the full width of
> the page".

Yes, in case I was not clear, we can definitely copy the Chrome UX here as
an alternative solution.

Cheers,

--
Ehsan