Removal of "Enable JavaScript" and "Load images automatically" in Firefox 23

Dão Gottwald dao at design-noir.de
Tue Aug 13 16:12:08 UTC 2013

On 11.08.2013 01:06, Gavin Sharp wrote:
>> It didn't and still doesn't make sense to me that we acknowledged that
>> there's a real and sensible use case for disabling images (slow connections,
>> data plans etc.), which may be essential to how some people access the
>> internet, but that this use case would be better supported by a dedicated
>> bandwidth saving mode, and that the option to disable images could therefore
>> go away -- without the hypothetical replacement being available.
>
> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/image-block/ seems like
> a much better option for these users than the checkbox we used to have
> in the preferences pane.

This is helpful for users who regularly surf like this, although (1) I'm
not convinced these users should have to resort to an add-on and (2) it
seems somewhat schizophrenic to promote this add-on when it still
"breaks Google" (the reason why we removed the checkbox, as far as I
remember).

For users who unexpectedly have to deal with a borderline-unusably-slow
connection on the road (fwiw, this actually happened to me a few years
ago in an airport and my solution was to disable images), searching the
internet for an add-on is exactly what you don't want to do in such a
situation.