The new find bar shifting down content

Gervase Markham gerv at mozilla.org
Tue Aug 13 09:53:26 UTC 2013

On 13/08/13 00:15, Ehsan Akhgari wrote:
> I find the new behavior of the find bar to shift down the whole content
> when it opens up extremely jarring.

This doesn't happen for me in yesterday's nightly; has the behaviour
changed recently?

I agree that shifting content is irritating. However, a full-width
overlay is also irritating - even if there is nothing important behind
the bar, it affects my equanimity that I suddenly can't see part of the
top of the page. There is also, on my 1920px wide monitor, an enormous
useless expanse of greyness right across the middle of the bar, which
seems wasteful.

> Chrome has solved this problem by overlaying content as opposed to
> shifting it down, and the way their implementation works their find bar
> spans over part of the browser window width, and they shift it to the
> left or right if it happens to overlay a found piece of text.

I think this would be the right solution. If we start in the top right,
I suspect that the bar would rarely need to move.

> I would like to advocate for the following solution:
>
> * Overlay the content as opposed to shifting it down when opening the
> find bar
> * Don't adjust the scroll origin like the patch in bug 893446 does
> * Shift down the content *if* the found text is at the very top of the page

I would add: "build a find bar which does not occupy the full width of
the page".

Gerv