The new and improved findbar… and the future?

The Wanderer wanderer at fastmail.fm
Mon Aug 12 16:31:06 UTC 2013

On 08/12/2013 12:14 PM, Mike Ratcliffe wrote:

> That really does look sexy!
>
> One thing that irritates me about our current search is that the
> result is often highlighted on the very top or bottom edge of the
> page. It would be awesome if you could ensure that the current word
> is scrolled to within something like the centre third of the content
> area.

I'm not quite clear what you're suggesting.

If you're saying that when the result is not within the originally
displayed area (and so we have to scroll anyway), you want us to scroll
so that the result is within the center third of the new displayed area,
I think I would be fine with that.

If you're saying that when the result is within the originally displayed
area, but is at the very edge of it, you want us to scroll so that the
result is within the center third of the displayed area, I wouldn't like
that; I would consider that excessive scrolling.

I would probably be fine with having it scroll so that the result is a
few lines away from the top or bottom edge, though, if it would
otherwise be at (or close enough to) the very limit. (For values of "a
few" not greater than about half a dozen.)

--
    The Wanderer

side of it.

Every time you let somebody set a limit they start moving it.
   - LiveJournal user antonia_tiger