reminder: fx-team is the new (front-end) inbound

The Wanderer wanderer at fastmail.fm
Wed Aug 7 03:37:32 UTC 2013

On 08/03/2013 09:44 PM, Gregory Szorc wrote:

 > On 8/2/2013 12:30 PM, Ehsan Akhgari wrote:
 >
 >> On 2013-08-02 1:47 PM, Gregory Szorc wrote:

 >>> I've filed a bug [1] against my mozext Mercurial extension to
 >>> track implementing merge conflict detection. I'm optimistic it
 >>> will be possible to detect at push/pull time. Worst case we can
 >>> operate a service/command that the sheriffs or anyone can use to
 >>> detect merge conflicts early, before things blow up at merge
 >>> time.
 >>
 >> Hrm, what's wrong with just running hg merge?  :-)
 >
 > Nothing. However, I think the earlier everyone is aware of future
 > merge conflicts the better. Currently, merge conflicts aren't
 > detected until... merge time. This results in fire drills and/or tree
 > closures, which can impact a bunch of people and hinder productivity.

This discussion reminds me of what the Linux "merge window" process
looked like before the introduction of the linux-next tree.

Every day, that tree gets reset to Linus' tree (the central base into
which everything else wants to eventually get merged), and then there is
a (semi-automatic?) merge of every "subsystem" tree whose maintainers
consider it ready to go to Linus (get merged into the central base),
with any long-running sources of merge conflicts being temporarily
excluded; thereafter, anyone who cares to builds and potentially tests
the resulting tree.

This seems to do a fairly good job of catching merge conflicts and/or
resulting build problems before it's time for the final, official merge.

 From what I can tell, the Mozilla development model doesn't seem to be
as heavily split and broadly decentralized as the Linux one, but it may
still be worth looking at whether there's anything useful to borrow from
the way Linux has addressed the problem of catching merge conflicts
while there's still time to deal with them.

--
    The Wanderer

side of it.

Every time you let somebody set a limit they start moving it.
   - LiveJournal user antonia_tiger