Fwd: Australis Toolbar and Sidebar Buttons

Erik Vold evold at mozilla.com
Tue Aug 6 19:58:21 UTC 2013

If the problem is that add-ons are displaying too much UI when they are installed, I don't see how forcing them to add more UI is a solution to the problem.

The sidebars and toolbars can be closed easily by clicking the associated close (the X) button, whereas removing a button is hard, and requires multiple steps (start customization, drag and drop the button out of the nav-bar, end customization), and the latter cannot be done with a hotkey.

Furthermore, there are good add-on developers out there that do not auto show their sidebars and toolbars, and with this requirement they will be forced to add a button, probably in addition to the one they normally provide, so installing these add-ons will show 2+ toolbar buttons installed..

As someone that uses add-ons, lots of them, I can tell you this will be a greatly harm my user experience.  I think if we go forward with this then we ought to have an opt-out preference for power users at the very least, which would hide all of these buttons and save them from this hell.  This is not easy for an add-on to do, especially if we do not standardize the implementation of this requirement.

Erik