reminder: content processes (e10s) are now used by desktop Firefox

Brian Smith brian at briansmith.org
Sun Aug 4 21:46:10 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 1:10 AM, Gavin Sharp <gavin at gavinsharp.com> wrote:

> Bug 870100 enabled use of the background thumbnail service in Firefox
> desktop, which uses a <browser remote=true> to do thumbnailing of pages in
> the background.
>
> That means that desktop Firefox now makes use of E10S content processes.
> They have a short life time (one page load) and are generally triggered by
> opening about:newtab when thumbnails are missing or out of date (>2 days
> old).

Besides the crashes, NSPR logging to a file is messed up because all the
processes write to the same log file. See:
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Debugging/HTTP_logging?redirectlocale=en-US&redirectslug=HTTP_Logging#Creating_separate_logs_for_child_processes

I think it is time to make GECKO_SEPARATE_NSPR_LOGS the default.

Cheers,
Brian