reminder: fx-team is the new (front-end) inbound

Gijs Kruitbosch gijskruitbosch at gmail.com
Sun Aug 4 09:43:39 UTC 2013

On Aug 2, 2013 9:31 PM, "Ehsan Akhgari" <ehsan.akhgari at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hrm, what's wrong with just running hg merge?  :-)

Nothing per se, especially if there are no conflicts.

However, it is often easier (and less likely to lead to problems) for
conflicts to be resolved by people who work on the code in question.

For instance (without wanting to specifically pick on metro, but I had to
pick an example), there were conflicting changes in the metro browser.xul
that touched the toolbar. One added a circular progress bar, one put a
bunch of the existing items in a stack for non-primary buttons or whatnot.
Deciding whether the progress meter goes before, after or inside this stack
is something best done by the people writing/reviewing these patches,
rather than whoever happens to run the relevant merge.

I do think that when teams stick to a single branch for landings, the
frequency of merge-time conflicts can be significantly reduced.

~ Gijs