reminder: fx-team is the new (front-end) inbound

Ehsan Akhgari ehsan.akhgari at gmail.com
Fri Aug 2 19:33:09 UTC 2013

On 2013-08-02 1:43 PM, Gavin Sharp wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 2, 2013 at 8:54 AM, Ehsan Akhgari <ehsan.akhgari at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Merge conflicts will definitely happen more in the future, I don't think
>> it's reasonable to expect everybody to have a mapping of what they (or
>> others) have landed in which branch all the time.
>
> I think it's quite reasonable to expect people to track when they've
> landed something on an integration branch that merges with central,
> and avoid doing so on multiple such branches. (Commenting in the bug
> with the inbound/fx-team/b2g-inbound/etc. changeset link is common
> practice and should avoid such conflicts in the general case.)
> Obviously there can be mid-air conflicts or other such exceptional
> circumstances, but it certainly shouldn't be the norm!

Well, yes any one person can probably prevent creating their own merge
conflicts (perhaps most effectively by using only one of the inbounds!),
but that's besides the point.  People landing code on different branches
is what I was talking about.  In such a world, we should expect to deal
with merge conflicts somehow.  The frequency of them happening pretty
much depends on how isolated the changes landing on the two branches are
and how unlucky one is on any given day.

Ehsan