reminder: content processes (e10s) are now used by desktop Firefox

Justin Lebar justin.lebar at gmail.com
Fri Aug 2 01:56:18 UTC 2013

On Thu, Aug 1, 2013 at 6:50 PM, Nicholas Nethercote
<n.nethercote at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 1, 2013 at 6:29 PM, Gavin Sharp <gavin at gavinsharp.com> wrote:
>>
>> Do you have specific issues you're worried about, or are you just speaking
>> about issues in general?
>
> This AdBlock issue worries me specifically.  And the fact that there's
> breakage with our #1 add-on makes me worry in general.

To be clear, the issue is that thumbnails don't have ABP enabled, not
that ABP falls over in general.

>> In general, I don't see us resolving e10s issues until we have some
>> incentive to do so, and get some sense of their relative severity.
>
> Huh?  This sentence seems entirely antithetical to our standard
> operating procedure.  I.e. backing out known regressions, etc.

It's a trade-off, right?  You can have thumbnails with ABP that jank
the browser, or you can have thumbnails without ABP that don't.  (AIUI
the oop business also fixes the issue where thumbnails showed private
data, like bank account info.  There are probably other things it
fixes too.)

Showing banner ads in the screencaps doesn't seem like a big deal to
me compared to what we get in return...  I guess the biggest issue
from my perspective might be that we're allowing advertisers to track
us, by making HTTP requests we otherwise wouldn't.  Hopefully we send
the cookies to /dev/null, but even still they get our IP.