Is the mutability of bindings in strict eval code observable in the language?

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.org
Tue Oct 19 13:11:55 PDT 2010

On Oct 19, 2010, at 12:00 PM, Oliver Hunt wrote:

> On Oct 19, 2010, at 11:30 AM, Mark S. Miller wrote:
>
> I am now curious how SM handles scope chains that contain objects injected by with().

Using a magic object, a kind of built-in proxy that delegates to the object evaluated from the with statement's head expression. This is because we link the scope chain with an intrinsic object field, parent, instead of using an extrinsic linked list or display.

We may optimize with harder. It will die hard; it was used in js1k.com contest entries, for instance.