Can DOM methods be native Function objects?

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.org
Sun Oct 10 15:41:58 PDT 2010

On Oct 10, 2010, at 3:28 PM, Brendan Eich wrote:

> Native functions do not have associated FunctionBody representations, of course; one clue is what toString returns.

Here I use "native functions" to mean either the built-in functions of ES5 clause 15, or the DOM built-in functions. Although the spec draws a bright line around its built-ins vs. "host objects", real implementations use the same native-function variant of function objects for both. This is important reality to support with some spec fixes.

What's more, we hope to self-host DOM methods over time, so the WebIDL specs should not require built-in or "native" implementation. It should not be mandatory. But now I think we are way beyond es5-discuss territory. Setting reply-to.