Yet more ambiguities in property enumeration

Allen Wirfs-Brock Allen.Wirfs-Brock at microsoft.com
Fri May 7 10:22:39 PDT 2010

While 12.6.4 is does not explicitly talk about this case I think it implicitly covers it.

Line 6.a (of the first algorithm, 7.a of the second) says "Let P be the name of the next property of obj whose [[Enumerable]] property is true".
I don't  believe that there is any other operation  or function in ES5 that when doing a property access by-passes a own property based upon some condition and instead accesses as shadowed inherited property.  Given that it's pretty clear that the quoted sentence should be read as if it said "Let P be the name of the next property accessible via the [[Get]] internal method of obj whose [[Enumerable]] property is true"

Also note that the final paragraph says "a property of a prototype is not enumerated if it is "shadowed" because some previous object in the prototype chain has a property with the same name".  Note this just says  "shadowed" which I believe (I probably wrote it :-) show be interpreted in the accessible via [[Get]] sense.  In particular, it does not say something like 'has the same name of a enumerated property of some previous object in the prototype chain"

Given these two points of the specification, I think it takes some pretty creative interpretation to arrive at the Webkit/V8 interpretation.  I suspect, that their behavior is probably an implementation artifact rather than something intentional.  I can enter the more explicit formulation of (6.a/7.a)  into the errata if there is a consensus that it is really needed, but I think we are also fine without it.

Allen