Another de-facto insecurity we need to fix in ES5

John Cowan cowan at
Fri Jun 19 11:43:45 PDT 2009

David-Sarah Hopwood scripsit:

> I support clarifying that setting Object.freeze prevents any further
> mutation of all internal properties (it already prevents mutation
> of __proto__, since that is a non-internal own-property). There's no
> reason to treat [[Prototype]] or __proto__ as a special case.

No, but an implementation might provide a magic function setPrototype
instead, which merely freezing internal properties would not override.
Making it clear that [[Prototype]] can't be changed covers this case
as well.

John Cowan   cowan at
'My young friend, if you do not now, immediately and instantly, pull
as hard as ever you can, it is my opinion that your acquaintance in the
large-pattern leather ulster' (and by this he meant the Crocodile) 'will
jerk you into yonder limpid stream before you can say Jack Robinson.'
        --the Bi-Coloured-Python-Rock-Snake