Last call for consensus on format-control char. issues

David-Sarah Hopwood david-sarah at jacaranda.org
Fri Jun 19 10:59:11 PDT 2009

Douglas Crockford wrote:
> Allen Wirfs-Brock wrote:
>> David-Sarah, in his proposal also removed <ZWSP> from Whitespace where
>> it occurs in the current draft.  It is still there in my "simple"
>> proposal. Does anybody else going to argue that <ZWSP> should or
>> should not be treated as whitespace?
>
> It is whitespace.

The Unicode standard says it isn't. It does not behave like whitespace,
is not rendered like whitespace, and it is a mistake to treat it as
whitespace.

(Also, there's no compatibility issue because ES3 did not treat it
as whitespace. Actually this reversion to ES3 is removing a potential
incompatibility due to silently changing the meaning of \s in regexps.)