JSON parser grammar

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Fri Jun 12 17:26:10 PDT 2009

Douglas Crockford scripsit:

>     JSON text SHALL be encoded in Unicode.
>
> This should be understood as meaning Unicode, and not BIG5 or
> Latin-1. It does not mean that Unicode's various not-a-character
> classifications render characters as unrepresentable.

But that's just my point: all *characters* are representable.  Unpaired
surrogates aren't characters and aren't representable -- text containing
them is ill-formed per Unicode 4.0 and later.  Noncharacters are
representable, are not characters, and shouldn't be interchanged.

--
John Cowan  cowan at ccil.org  http://ccil.org/~cowan
Female celebrity stalker, on a hot morning in Cairo: