Pseudo-JSON with unquoted property names

Robert Sayre sayrer at gmail.com
Fri Jun 5 18:11:42 PDT 2009

On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 6:57 PM, David-Sarah
Hopwood<david-sarah at jacaranda.org> wrote:

> Accepting unquoted names is pretty harmless from a security point of view,
> and does not add signficant specification or implementation complexity

JSON is a wire format that enjoys good interoperability.

Allowing unquoted names would result in documents that break many
implementations on json.org. And it would break people using eval in
some other langauages, but don't allow unquoted names. A more liberal
"parseObjectLiteral" capability might be nice for a future standard.

This would even break Firefox 3's JSON functionality (used internally
and available to extensions).

No thanks.

--

Robert Sayre