JSON parser grammar

Allen Wirfs-Brock Allen.Wirfs-Brock at microsoft.com
Wed Jun 3 22:02:56 PDT 2009

The IE8 implementation of JSON.parse does not allow unquoted property names. While I have seen reports regarding several issues with the IE8 implementation,(for example, one site that allowed use of single quotes as string quotes within JSON text) I have yet to hear any complaints about not allowing unquoted property names. This doesn't prove that such pseudo-JSON doesn't exist but it may indicate that it isn't a serious problem.