Are ES Modules garbage collected? If so, do they re-execute on next import?

Mark S. Miller erights at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 06:05:22 UTC 2020

Only a module registry as a whole may be GCed. During the lifetime of any
one module registry, it can only grow. No other solution is possible.

Btw, I remember being surprised ages ago when the same issue came up for
the Java ClassLoader. A classLoader holds on to all the classes it ever
loaded. Each class holds onto its classLoader. Each instance holds on to
its class. During the lifetime of a classLoader or any of its classes, the
graph of that classLoader and its classes can only grow new classes. Not
until the classLoader and all of its classes are unreachable at the same
time can any of them be collected. This was equally unfortunate,
surprising, and inescapable.

--
  Cheers,
  --MarkM