Why globalThis instead of something intuitive like globalObject, systemGlobal, or globalEntity?

Boris Zbarsky bzbarsky at mit.edu
Thu Nov 21 22:37:50 UTC 2019

On 11/21/19 5:21 PM, #!/JoePea wrote:
>> They were duly marked invalid, because the problem was with the expectations, not the behavior...
>
> It's a design bug.

Well, sure, if we're talking about the fact that there is no clear
separation in the web platform's exposed objects between "a container
that can be navigated" and "the thing currently loaded in that
container"; both are represented, kinda weirdly, by "window".

> I know, impossible to fix.

Then why was you previous mail saying that browsers should fix it?

> I'm not sure I even know what "globalThis" means now. :)

It means "that thing that `this` would return in global scope".  No
more, no less.

In practice, in web pages, that thing is a WindowProxy object as defined
at
https://html.spec.whatwg.org/multipage/window-object.html#the-windowproxy-exotic-object

-Boris