Optional Curly Braces in JavaScript

Bergi a.d.bergi at web.de
Sun Nov 3 20:17:11 UTC 2019

Hi Ed!

> Update to the proposal:
>
> Since we can't make spaces in JavaScript, the best we can do is use '_' instead.

You misunderstood. We *could* make use of significant whitespace in
JavaScript (enabled by the `:` instead of a brace after a statement) -
we just don't *want* to.

That said, `_` is not a workable solution - apart from _ (and any
repetitions of it) being a valid identifier already, *chaining* it like
you described doesn't work with nested blocks:
```
for (const x of [1,2,3])
_ if (x % 2)
  _ console.log('odd')
_ console.log(x)
```
would be indistinguishable from
```
for (const x of [1,2,3])
_ if (x % 2)
  _ console.log('odd')
  _ console.log(x)
```
(and no, please don't suggest repetion of whatever token you come up
with for signifying nesting level)

kind regards,
 Bergi