Re: Proposal For A New Alternative Keyword To “this” For Classes

Ranando King kingmph at gmail.com
Tue Mar 12 13:51:33 UTC 2019

I get what you're after. I touched on the same things when creating my
private members proposal. The best of approaches for what you want is
indeed relying on the lexical scope to act as a binding for all class
members. There's just a couple of problems with doing things that way:

1. ES is a dynamic language. This makes lexical binding difficult because
it's entirely possible to call a non-static class method where *this* is
undefined or null. Not allowing for that scenario will break existing code.
Allowing for that scenario will cause variables to be unexpectedly either
written to the global scope or throw.
2. Class isn't really a "thing" in ES, at least, it isn't until
class-fields lands. The use of the *class* keyword is currently completely
optional. There's nothing in current ES that you can do with *class* that
can't be done without it except use the *super()* call in the constructor
function. But even that can be substituted with *Reflect.construct*().
Class-fields will destroy this symmetry, making *class* it's own unique
"thing". But until then, what do you do about all the "classes" that don't
use the *class* keyword?

Long and short, this means both the lexical scope approach and the
alternate keyword approach will either break existing code or bring
dubious-to-no benefit.