Proposal: 1) Number (integer or decimal) to Array 2) Array to Number (integer or decimal)

Felipe Nascimento de Moura felipenmoura at gmail.com
Sat Mar 9 19:09:19 UTC 2019

Personally, I don't think it would be THAT useful...
but...I think there is something behind this proposal that makes sense.

I do believe it could be useful for developers to have an easier access to
number parts or characteristics.
Perhaps something like:

const i = 1234.567;

console.log( i.float ); // 567
console.log( i.abs ); // 1234
console.log( i.thousands ); // 1
console.log( i.million ); // 0
console.log( i.hundred ); // 2
console.log( i.hundreds ); // 12
console.log( i.ten ); // 2
console.log( i.tens ); // 123
console.log( i.tenth ); // 5
console.log( i.tenths ); // 5
console.log( i.hundredth ); // 6
console.log( i.hundredth ); // 56

There is this table with some patterns:
Large Numbers
*Number....................* *Name* *Symbol* *Description (Short
Scale)* Description
(Long Scale)
1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 yotta Y Septillion Quadrillion
1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 zetta Z Sextillion Thousand Trillion/Trilliard
1,000,000,000,000,000,000 exa E Quintillion Trillion
1,000,000,000,000,000 peta P Quadrillion Thousand Billion/Billiard
1,000,000,000,000 tera T Trillion Billion
1,000,000,000 giga G Billion Thousand Million/Milliard
1,000,000 mega M Million Million
1,000 kilo k Thousand Thousand
100 hecto h Hundred Hundred
10 deca da Ten Ten>Small Numbers
*Number....................* *Name* *Symbol* *Description (Short
Scale)* *Description
(Long Scale)*
0.1 deci d Tenth Tenth
0.01 centi c Hundredth Hundredth
0.001 milli m Thousandth Thousandth
0.000 001 micro u Millionth Millionth
0.000 000 001 nano n Billionth Thousand Millionth
0.000 000 000 001 pico p Trillionth Billionth
0.000 000 000 000 001 femto f Quadrillionth Thousand Billionth
0.000 000 000 000 000 001 atto a Quitillionth Trillionth
0.000 000 000 000 000 000 001 zepto z Sextillionth Thousand Trillionth
0.000 000 000 000 000 000 000 001 yocto y Septillionth Quadrillionth
I mean...something like that could make sense to offer faster access to
parts of numbers...

- Could be useful for games, statics, animations, transitions, etc
- Very useful to deal with the recently added bigInt
- The implementation of something like this is not trivial, and there must
be many different ways to accomplish similar results, what increases the
granularization of implementations in different libs
- I don't think this would bring trouble to current language implementation

Just adding my 2 cents to the discussion :)

[ ]s

*--*

*Felipe N. Moura*
Web Developer, Google Developer Expert
<https://developers.google.com/experts/people/felipe-moura>, Founder of
BrazilJS <https://braziljs.org/> and Nasc <http://nasc.io/>.

Website:  http://felipenmoura.com / http://nasc.io/
Twitter:    @felipenmoura <http://twitter.com/felipenmoura>
Facebook: http://fb.com/felipenmoura
LinkedIn: http://goo.gl/qGmq
*Changing  the  world*  is the least I expect from  myself!