Proposal: Duration

Alexandre Morgaut alexandre.morgaut at gmail.com
Tue Mar 5 11:52:41 UTC 2019

Ron, Gus, Isiah,

Thank you for your interest and for pointing to the temporal proposal.
I'm happy to see it is already in stage 2, and be happy to contribute with
my humble experiences.

And yes Duration has its usage on its own independently to dates, but
date operation results are often expected to work with durations

I'm not sure to be fan of their name but:

   - I like CivilDate allowing to manage dates like January 1st, or
   birthdays independently from the timezone
   - Idem with CivilTime, handling midnight/noon or shop opening hours like
   seven / eleven can be very handy

I see you also want to fix Date 0-based month & week days
I know the JS Date object was inspired from a Java API which was later
deprecated so I understand the work going on here
I just find it very ambitious (in the Java case it was deprecated very
early)

I agree that the next challenge would be the handling of calendars, I think
(my 2 cents) that it could make sense if most of the calendar job would
take place in the Intl API
But well calendar usages are not only a question of regions but also of
cultures & periods...
The hard thing when we want to provide Date & Time APIs is that some
calendars are using other units than months or hours
ex: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_units_of_measurement#Time
But well, programming languages need standards so international date &
calendar have to rule here*
* unless we provide a very generic API with methods like "add(value,
unit)", but it can quickly become a nightmare
Then Calendar APIs may come with their own Date / Time APIs, supporting
related units, leap months, leap years and so on.

Naveen

> The problem here is that a "duration" of 2 months depends on the exact
> start date and timezone. So any "getMilliseconds" function would not be
> portable! So why not just stick with dates, and leave duration to be the
> difference in unix timestamp milliseconds between and 2 given dates?...
> This to me seems like the simplest way of handling all of this. Everyone do
> let me know if I'm missing anything...?

What you are missing, to my opinion, is that in some cases we really don't
want to work with a milliseconds diff but with the real "number of months",
or weeks, or days, especially if you are looking for periodicities.
And the "between()" API is just one usage of Durations

Now

Sure that if Duration can take place there in the temporal proposal, it
could save it stage 0 & 1 ;-)
My only "fear" is that this proposal, while very interesting, is already
huge and I would not want both proposals to slow each other.
But if the TC39 team is confident let's jump in the train :-)

I'll start by updating my own repository to reference the temporal proposal.

One of my initial wonderings was "Where should we put the balance between
the domain coverage & API affordance?".

Examples:
- The mentioned Java API doesn't cover the use case I mentioned in it's
between API. Should we care about it?
- Should we offer a single Duration object to cover the main concept or
provide a whole set of variant (TimeInterval, DateInterval, Period,
Duration...)
- Should we handle very high precision or large time units (nanoseconds,
microseconds, centuries... )
  - independently to the values the system can provide

My initial thoughts, to get it more easily accepted by the community, was
to try to cover some complex but frequent usages while keeping the API as
simple as possible.
But I'm very open to more complete solutions