Proposal: Duration

Isiah Meadows isiahmeadows at gmail.com
Tue Mar 5 01:26:26 UTC 2019

Alexandre: I feel it's only *related* to dates and times:

- Dates and times refer to absolute points.
- Durations would refer to distances between two dates and/or times.

However, I do feel this should be discussed in
https://github.com/tc39/proposal-temporal. And down this vein, I've
created https://github.com/tc39/proposal-temporal/issues/109 just now.

Naveen: If you look at that proposal and particularly the issue I
filed, you can see date handling isn't as simple as it looks. There's
an entire database dedicated to localizing just times [1] (source:
[2]), and numeric date handling is a mess all on its own, [3] even if
you just stick with *just* the Gregorian calendar. [4] About the only
portable way to handle a date is to just do a bunch of UTC offsets to
the start of January 1, 1970, but even that has glitches in the form
of leap seconds. [5]

Or to put it simply: Date handling is hard.

[1]: https://www.iana.org/time-zones
[2]: https://github.com/eggert/tz
[3]: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calendar_date
[4]: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gregorian_calendar