Feature Request

Isiah Meadows isiahmeadows at gmail.com
Thu Jun 27 16:50:58 UTC 2019

I've weakly suggested this in the past (sorry, buried in old list
discussions and IRC), but I haven't come up with something that 1.
doesn't have nearly the overhead of web workers, and 2. doesn't have
nearly the footguns of C's direct thread-based model that's mostly
emulated by practically every remotely major software programming
language not using CSP or actors/processes. The first is difficult to
avoid without avoiding message passing altogether, hence why
`SharedArrayBuffer` appeared in the first place. The second is
difficult to avoid if you want to minimize message passing overhead,
especially without immutable objects (which can usually be sent
without copy between threads of the same parent process).

Given Erlang's parallel programming model has proven itself to stand
the test of time (it's hardly changed since the 80s) and that others
(such as Ruby and some Java circles) are planning to adapt it, I feel
it might be worth waiting for this stage-0 proposal to make it in in
some form or another first, *then* pushing for language-level support
of parallelism: https://github.com/rricard/proposal-const-value-types/

-----

Isiah Meadows
contact at isiahmeadows.com