The world is broken, will you help me fix it?

Ranando King kingmph at gmail.com
Fri Jul 26 21:05:39 UTC 2019

Such grand ideals. Such folly. By the same reasoning, Linux should have
already taken over the desktop long ago. The same concepts that prevent
this from happening is also slowing progress toward your ideals. Too many
chefs, not enough cooks, and no agreement on the recipe in the face of
limited resources. Think of it like this:

* *Web OS:*
This pretty much already exists. We call it a standards compliant web
browser. However, compared to what you're asking for, this is more
low-level. To bring it up to the level you want, one of the many
authentication/authorization packages would have to become a standard part
of the browser, but who will set that standard? Will the browser
manufacturer comply? It's hard enough to get them all to comply with the
current HTML spec, CSS spec, and ES spec. There are so many minor
variations on how things work that creating a cross-browser compliant piece
of software is tantamount to creating a valuable work of art as it is. Now
you're asking for an Authentication spec and an Authorization spec to be
added to the list...

* *Node OS:*
Exactly how would a scripting language replace an entire operating system?
By that logic (and I use the term "logic" loosely here), the gnu C++
compiler should have long ago replaced Windows. The reality is that node.js
is already a platform on which programs can be written targeting virtually
any environment where node works. This means node is probably already about
as close as it's going to get to being a virtual OS with the node
executable as its command shell.

* *Git OS:*
Git? Complicated? Really? There's only 7 commands I use regularly in Git:
clone, fetch, pull, push, commit, add, & set. Those 7 commands do
everything I need to do with git for 95% of what I need. Since I don't need
the other commands that often, I don't even bother to remember them, just
that their function exists in Git. As far as making a UI is concerned,
every major and most minor IDEs have integration plugins for Git. So there
are already tons of UIs for Git. I haven't even begun to talk about the
non-IDE software for the same functionality. ...And to top it all off, a UI
for a command-line tool shouldn't be called an OS.

Having said all of that, I've just got 1 question for you: Why are you
posting this in ES Discuss when it has *NOTHING AT ALL* to do with
enhancing or correcting ECMAScript/Javascript?