The world is broken, will you help me fix it?

Michael Lewis mike at lew42.com
Sat Jul 27 03:31:46 UTC 2019

I mostly agree, except the "folly" part.  I was hoping to spark some
interest (to answer your question), but it appears there is no interest to
be sparked.

See below:

On Fri, Jul 26, 2019 at 4:04 PM Ranando King <kingmph at gmail.com> wrote:

> Such grand ideals. Such folly. By the same reasoning, Linux should have
> already taken over the desktop long ago. The same concepts that prevent
> this from happening is also slowing progress toward your ideals. Too many
> chefs, not enough cooks, and no agreement on the recipe in the face of
> limited resources. Think of it like this:

Yes, I've been focusing more time on the marketing (hence, the logos).  It
will be a leadership challenge, as much as a technical one.

> * *Web OS:*
> This pretty much already exists. We call it a standards compliant web
> browser. However, compared to what you're asking for, this is more
> low-level. To bring it up to the level you want, one of the many
> authentication/authorization packages would have to become a standard part
> of the browser, but who will set that standard? Will the browser
> manufacturer comply? It's hard enough to get them all to comply with the
> current HTML spec, CSS spec, and ES spec. There are so many minor
> variations on how things work that creating a cross-browser compliant piece
> of software is tantamount to creating a valuable work of art as it is. Now
> you're asking for an Authentication spec and an Authorization spec to be
> added to the list...

Building Auth into the browser isn't immediately necessary.  In its current
state, the webOS is just a client-side View and Router.  And with a few
node endpoints, it doesn't need to be much more than that.  Building real
apps will obviously require some persistence.  That's where node/git comes
in.

> * *Node OS:*
> Exactly how would a scripting language replace an entire operating system?
> By that logic (and I use the term "logic" loosely here), the gnu C++
> compiler should have long ago replaced Windows. The reality is that node.js
> is already a platform on which programs can be written targeting virtually
> any environment where node works. This means node is probably already about
> as close as it's going to get to being a virtual OS with the node
> executable as its command shell.

In the beginning, the nodeOS needs to be little more than a simple node
start/stop UI.  Show me what's running, and let me start/stop/configure
it.  And maybe at some point, browse the file system, execute commands,
browse npm, install/manage deps, create web apps.  I would want to make a
real IDE at this point.  Obviously, if we're going to rewrite all the
software, we're going to need a badass IDE, with the best debugging,
logging, testing, layout, versioning tools imaginable.

> * *Git OS:*
> Git? Complicated? Really? There's only 7 commands I use regularly in Git:
> clone, fetch, pull, push, commit, add, & set. Those 7 commands do
> everything I need to do with git for 95% of what I need. Since I don't need
> the other commands that often, I don't even bother to remember them, just
> that their function exists in Git. As far as making a UI is concerned,
> every major and most minor IDEs have integration plugins for Git. So there
> are already tons of UIs for Git. I haven't even begun to talk about the
> non-IDE software for the same functionality. ...And to top it all off, a UI
> for a command-line tool shouldn't be called an OS.

Git normally works, but sometimes, https://ohshitgit.com/.

End users need version control.  Some apps have a revision history (Google
Docs, WordPress).  But many apps still lose their history when you exit.

Look at how many color schemes I tried for this logo:

[image: image.png]

Git could seamlessly auto-branch behind the scenes when making changes to
permanently track everything.  End users need version control, but they
shouldn't (won't) be tasked with learning git commands.  We need a familiar
version control UI to rewind, fast-forward, branch, bookmark/tag, etc,
across all apps.  Whether it's a document, a 3D model, or text/code.
Version control is an essential part of the *operating system*, and should
exist not just as a CLI, but also as a user-friendly UI.  This UI
should be *consistent
across apps, *and the UI should be present *within the app*.  Just trying
to clarify that version control is more than a CLI.

In the beginning, the gitOS would just be a part of the nodeOS file
explorer.  Eventually it could provide an API and UI for apps in the manner
described above.

I've used GitKraken, SourceTree, and GitHub desktop.  None of them were
spectacular experiences.

The first phase of this system is stupid simple.  But by itself, it's not
enough to excite anyone.  Unfortunately, there is no creative energy.
Nobody gets excited anymore...

Reread the original email.  I mean, honestly, what more could anyone be
looking for?  It's the whole world on a silver platter.  Jesus Fucking
Christ.

 Having said all of that, I've just got 1 question for you: Why are you
> posting this in ES Discuss when it has *NOTHING AT ALL* to do with
> enhancing or correcting ECMAScript/Javascript?

I'm desperately seeking help.  It's quite clear from my original email:

   - I'm drowning in debt and despair
   - I have an incredible opportunity to climb out of this hole, fix a
   broken system, improve the world, and make a fortune
   - I need help

I have no following, and this list is a particularly qualified group of
techies, the type that might understand my vision.

It's ok, I'll build a free webOS camp that doesn't take 2000 hours, but
more like 2 hours to get started.  My View class is basically like 50 lines
of code.  Windows is 50 million.  I'll train an army of designers and
developers, and we'll fucking run this shit.