NumberFormat maxSignificantDigits Limit

Ethan Resnick ethan.resnick at gmail.com
Sun Jan 20 19:18:26 UTC 2019

Hi,

Apologies if es-discuss is the wrong venue for this; I've tried first
poring through the specs and asking online to no avail.

My question is: why is the limit for the `maximumSignificantDigits` option
in the `NumberFormat` API set at 21? This seems rather arbitrary — and
especially odd to me given that, iiuc, all Numbers in JS, as 64 bit floats,
can only encode up to 17 significant decimal digits. Is this some sort of
weird historical artifact of something? Should the rationale be documented
anywhere?

Thanks!

Ethan