Proposal: strict built-in functions

Mark S. Miller erights at gmail.com
Sun Dec 8 14:39:26 UTC 2019

Wow, Edge is definitely in violation of the intent of the spec, and the
intent of the history of treatments of .caller in previous discussions and
specs over the years. The Edge behavior is grossly unsafe.

Hi Jack, thanks for catching this and raising it!! It does need to be
fixed. I do think it can be a PR because the historical intent was clear.
Since the FF behavior is correct, the correct behavior is web compat, so we
should be able to handle this in a PR.

Whether a PR or a full proposal, in either case I'm happy to take this to
the committee. I invested years of my life killing non-sloppy
function.caller. I can spend a little more ;)

On Sun, Dec 8, 2019 at 5:52 AM Jack Works <zjwpeter at gmail.com> wrote:

> It is a runtime level change. I think it might break some code that
> depends on the strictness of the built-in function like code that using
> func.caller.
>
> On Sun, Dec 8, 2019, 9:48 PM Isiah Meadows <contact at isiahmeadows.com>
> wrote:
>
>> You might do better to file a pull request directly against the spec for
>> this: https://github.com/tc39/ecma262. To me, it looks more like an
>> oversight, not something that would likely have to go through all 4 stages.
>> (If it does, at least you already have a repo for it.)
>>
>> On Sun, Dec 8, 2019 at 08:43 Jack Works <zjwpeter at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> In the current spec, strictness of the built-in functions are
>>> implementation-dependent behaviors. This proposal is going to fix this
>>> problem.
>>> https://github.com/Jack-Works/proposal-strict-built-in-functions

>> --
>> -----