Modulo Operator %%

Michael Haufe tno at thenewobjective.com
Thu Aug 15 14:39:17 UTC 2019

On 8/14/19 7:50 PM, Waldemar Horwat wrote:

> And I'm saying that's potentially problematic because it changes the meaning of existing programs that happen to use "mod" as a variable name.  The above is one example that would turn a let statement into a mod expression.  Here's another example:
>
> x = 4
> mod(foo)

Potentially yes and surely there is a yacc definition where one could check to be certain? Regardless, let's assume there is or that workarounds to guarantee infixity are not worth the complication ([no LineTerminator here] usage).

We know that syntax is the last bastion of language luddites, so it's best not to linger on something which was not my main concern. I am more interested in maintaining the duality of the operators over how they are represented (within reason). Thus, if '%%' is what is preferable, then '\\' would be the partner.

Michael