Removing a module from the cache

Isiah Meadows isiahmeadows at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 17:13:46 UTC 2018

First, I'm reconsidering this approach as per a discussion on #tc39
IRC, and plan to come up with a CommonJS prototype first before
actually developing a proposal. Most likely, it won't actually involve
mutating the graph, but something closer to Erlang's, where different
versions of modules might coexist for different views of the world.

Second, there are ways around those issues you listed:

1. If you stick with immutability, you can achieve something similar
to what you'd get with Erlang or Elixir. You generally have to code
*for* hot reloading, simply because it ruins the assumption you have
full local control over the runtime's world.
1. I've personally had to resort to restarting everything, but for me,
it's not paranoia, but actual things breaking.
1. Almost nobody outside OTP circles seem to correctly account for
data and module dependencies. When a module changes, you have to also
reload everything that imports it, so things actually work. You still
can have implicit dependencies from arguments, but those are less
common, and they almost never show up in object-oriented code bases
(where things are typically directly imported).

But anyways, I'm letting this mailing list proposal die here while I
figure out how best to come up with something truly compelling.

-----

Isiah Meadows
contact at isiahmeadows.com
www.isiahmeadows.com