Submitted for your approval, JSOX

J Decker d3ck0r at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 21:22:19 UTC 2018

(Thank you Rod Sterling)

But seriously, I'd like to submit, for serious consideration, JSOX -
JavaScript Object eXchange format.  It inherits all JSON syntax such that
it is able to process any existing JSON.

I'm, at this point, open to changing anything (or even omitting things),
including the name.

JSON is great.  JSON has some limits, and criticisms... JS/ES Grew , but
JSON has to stay the same, similarly with whatever comes next I'd imagine.

So a primary goal is to encode and decode ES6 objects for transport with a
simple API such as JSOX.parse( object ), and JSOX.stringify( jsoxString ).
But also keep with the simplicity of JSON,
so it can be used in human readable circumstances.

Types that are now (or soon) native to ES such as TypedArrays (binary
data), BigInt types, and even the existing Date type, do not transport with
JSON very well.  They become a non-identifable string, that requires extra
code involving knowledge of the structure of the data being transferred to
be able to restore the values to Date(), BigInt(), et al.

So a few weeks ago I started considering what else, beyond these simple
modifications might also be useful, or address criticisms of JSON.
Handling the above types is really a trivial modification to most JSON
parsers.  Each of the following modifications is really only a very slight
change to behavior; although implementing typed-objects does initially
involve changing error handling into identifer-fallback handling.

I initially argued, that defining a object prototype
'card(name,address,zipcode,created)' which removes the redundant data for
every following reference, (and is good, just for data reduction, which was
argued 'gzip').  A JSON representation might be
`{"name":"bob","address":"123
street","zipcode":"55555","created":1537304820} where if have a large
number of the same record the same 'name':,'address':, etc is repeated in
every record.  Where a typed-object's value in JSOX could be
`card{:"bob","123 street","55555",2018-09-18T21:07:00Z}`.  All objects that
are revived as typed-objects share the same prototype, and before parsing,
the prototypes to be used may be specified.  The amount of data to process
is reduced, perhaps to a significant degree.

So <Identifer> '{' is about typed-objects.  This construct is not allowed
in JSON.  But that then leads to <Identifier> '['  - typed arrays, arrays
don't really have redundant data potential like objects, but there are
TypedArrays in ES.  There is no way to define a type of an array, but
hardcoded types like 'ab', 'u8', 'ref' are used to revive binary data.  The
bytes of the backing ArrayBuffer are encoded to base64, and included within
'[' and ']' without quotes; using the brackets as quotes.

A JSOX typed array is the 'ref' type.  A reference to another location in
the current object can be specified, which allows encoding cyclic
structures.

https://github.com/d3x0r/jsox
https://npmjs.com/package/jsox

(Initial public reaction was not very helpful, but probably that's the
fault of how it was introduced?)
https://www.reddit.com/r/javascript/comments/9f8wml/jsox_javascript_object_exchange_format_preview/

There was plenty of 'why not [YAML/BSON/protobufs/(I don't think anyone
said XML)/...]'  and the answer is simply, because none of those read JSON,
or have as simple of an API. (amongst other reasons that JSON is already a
solution for compared to those mentioned)