Proxy target/handler access leak in Node

Mark Miller erights at gmail.com
Mon Sep 17 17:20:50 UTC 2018

> The Node.js trust model assumes that all code is trusted.

First I want to respond to this sentence out of context. I often hear such
phrases. I know what people mean by this, but the phrase "trusted" here
*always* leads to confusion and muddy thinking. I don't trust the code I
wrote yesterday. Instead, what we mean by this is something like:

"The Node.js xxxx model assumes we are fully vulnerable to all code."

This phrasing helps us notice some of the questions made obscure by the
earlier phrase. What is fully vulnerable to which code? What is meant in
this case is presumably something more like

"...assumes the Node.js process is fully vulnerable to all code it is asked
to run."

Under a traditional OS, a process executes as the account (or "user")
executing that process, and has all the permissions of that user. So this
becomes:

"...assumes the user is fully vulnerable to all code that any Node process
executing as that user is asked to run."

(Which of course includes anything built on Electron, which makes the
situation even worse in some ways.)

Given the way that this body of code is typically selected, by transitive
alleged package dependencies, this is a ridiculously large attack surface.
Fortunately, there is increasing appreciation that such pervasive
vulnerability is problematic.

See
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Snbss_tawI&list=PLKr-mvz8uvUgybLg53lgXSeLOp4BiwvB2&index=23

Also relevant