Expectations around line ending behavior for U+2028 and U+2029

J Decker d3ck0r at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 20:55:22 UTC 2018

On Mon, Oct 29, 2018 at 1:50 PM Carsten Bormann <cabo at tzi.org> wrote:

> On Oct 26, 2018, at 10:48, Claude Pache <claude.pache at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I have just tried to open a file containing U+2028 and U+2029 in four
> different text editors / integrated environments on my Mac. All of them
> recognise both characters as newlines (and increment the line number for
> those that display it).
>
> Hi Claude,
>
> can you identify those apps?  I’d like to meet them in person.

https://esdiscuss.org/topic/expectations-around-line-ending-behavior-for-u-2028-and-u-2029#content-10
The screen shot didn't save in that archive though...

It looks to me like 2028 isn't a real line break; just a visual line
break... since it kept the same line number.  Not sure what to do about a
'column' count in this case though... character index on line != column in
this case...

2029 does look like '\r\n' (if \r is return and \n is linefeed as in
classic TTY)