Expectations around line ending behavior for U+2028 and U+2029

Logan Smyth loganfsmyth at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 19:58:34 UTC 2018

Something I've recently realized just how much U+2028 and U+2029 being
newlines introduces a mismatch between different parts of a dev
environment, and I'm curious for thoughts.

Engines understandable take these two characters into account when defining
their line number offsets in stack traces, since they are part of the
LineTerminator grammar. Similarly, Babel's parser and I assume others will
do the same and take then into account for their line number data. On the
other hand, it seems like every editor that I've looked at so far will not
render these characters as newlines, which can create confusion for users
because error messages will not align with what they see in their editors.
This seems like a burden for editors, since they would need to know the
type of file in order to know how to render it. There's also a question of
mixed content. If I have an HTML file with a <script>, would an editor need
to be content-aware to render the newlines correctly only within the
<script> tag, since U+2028/29 are not newline characters for HTML?

Another case that comes to mind is that sourcemaps don't appear to specify
what counts as a line. While mappings are defined per-line, it's not clear
whether these should take U+2028/29 into account or not, though I'd assume
the intention is /\r?\n/. Tooling like Babel will currently take U+2028/29
into account because otherwise we'd need two independent concepts of
line/column number for each location. That said, this Babel behavior is
likely a bad idea because it means the application of a sourcemap would
need to be aware of whether a given mapping within a file applies to JS
content, or something else.

Would it be worth exploring a definition of U+2028/29 in the spec such that
they behave as line terminators for ASI, but otherwise do not increment
things line number counts and behave as whitespace characters? If not, what
are your thoughts on the issues I've mentioned?