JSON.parse should be simple and idiot-proof

Isiah Meadows isiahmeadows at gmail.com
Sun Oct 21 14:50:15 UTC 2018

Just because something exists doesn't mean it'll be  broadly used. Plus,
reviver functions are normally incredibly simple - you don't get enough
context (like key paths) to do anything crazy, and this proposal doesn't
give you enough context for that.

In practice, this changes literally nothing for most consumers, since the
use case is incredibly limited and usually requires server agreement as
well. In fact, that's where my skepticism lies: why add 3 new reviver
parameters when a single "parse ints as bigints" would solve basically the
entire problem? I've yet to see any other use case that couldn't be solved
by manipulating the result after it's parsed.

But personally, I don't see how bugs would be a major issue here
considering its limited utility.