The "gathering developer feedback" utopia.

Andrea Giammarchi andrea.giammarchi at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 10:12:56 UTC 2018

Daniel Ehrenberg wrote [1] the following:

> I'd recommend starting with making a library which does this, and
gathering broad developer feedback, before proposing for standardization.

it was a genuine extra answer to the question:

> do you think [for] this [proposal] is worth going through the process?

Now here the issue: if you don't have thousand twitter followers and you
don't work for Google, Microsoft or Facebook, the "gathering broader
feedback" is just a wall that every developer with a good idea but not an
easy way to reach some broader feedback will hit.

I have libraries that got few stars on GitHub, I haven't actively promoted
them, but are downloaded 13 million times per month on npm, yet nobody
cares, and most don't even know such library exists.

I have other ideas never seen before that will never see the "standard
light" because either people after me overlapped with their version of my
idea but are closer to standard bodies (working for Google, as example) or
I have consistent lower reach than united groups (googles re-tweeting
googlers stuff or similar).

Bear in mind I'm not necessarily pointing fingers to anyone, and I believe
it's normal that most followed companies with they devrel people and their
team would promote their ideas as a united group, but telling people
proposing new standards that these will hardly be considered until there is
broader community interest seems elitist for no reasons and an unnecessary,
or unbreakable wall, for newcomers.

As summary, I don't even like that specific Array#pluck proposal, but it
would be great if this ML could be open to everyone, not just those with
stars on GitHub and many followers.

I know Daniel wrote that in good faith, but having an official statement
written somewhere about this might be less discouraging for newcomers.

Best Regards.

[1] https://github.com/tc39/ecma262/issues/1324#issuecomment-428503827