strawman proposal for base4 and base 32 integer literals

Shaun Moss shaun at astron.software
Mon Oct 8 04:14:26 UTC 2018

The second point is very helpful, thank you, Peter. I didn't realise that
parseInt() already parsed letters A-V as values 10-31. Obviously any syntax
for literals would need to be compatible with this (it's the same as the
base32hex proposal in RFC 2938).

Thank you
Shaun

On Mon, 8 Oct 2018 at 10:58, Peter Jaszkowiak <p.jaszkow at gmail.com> wrote:

> You don't have nearly enough discussion of use cases. Without that,
> especially since `parseInt(str, radix)` already exists, this is unlikely to
> go anywhere. Also, your base32 system is inconsistent with how
> `parseInt(str, 32)` currently behaves, which further decreases the
> likelihood of it being accepted.
>
> Base 4 has few use cases because it only saves 1 character per bit-couple.
>
> On Sun, Oct 7, 2018, 18:51 Shaun Moss <shaun at astron.software> wrote:
>
>> Hi all
>>
>> I'm new to the list so please forgive me if I breach etiquette.
>>
>> I have drafted a proposal for addition to the ES spec:
>> https://github.com/mossy2100/ecmascript/blob/master/base4and32literals.md
>>
>> If anyone has a few spare minutes, I'd be grateful if you could please
>> give it a quick look over. I'd really appreciate any feedback on how to
>> improve or advance it. I haven't looked into implementation details yet but
>> I will soon.
>>
>> Thank you
>> Shaun
>>

>> --
>> Have a great day!
>> Shaun Moss
>>
>> shaunmoss71 at gmail.com
>> +61 (0) 434 704596
>> Skype: mossy2100
>>
>> Blog: https://shaunmoss.blog
>> Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/mossy2100
>> Twitter: https://twitter.com/mossy2100
>> LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/shaunmoss
>> Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/mossy2500
>> YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/mossy2100/videos
>> Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Shaun-Moss/e/B00NXD0QZK
>>
>> Author: "The International Mars Research Station - An exciting new plan
>> to create a permanent human presence on Mars" (https://marsbase.org)
>> Author: "Practical Metaphysics" (http://practicalmetaphysicsbook.com)
>> Creator: "The Utopian Calendar" - Possibly the best calendar for Mars ever
>> designed. (https://marscalendar.com)
>> Creator: "The Earthian Calendar" - Possibly the best calendar for Earth ever
>> designed. (http://earthiancalendar.info)

Have a great day!
Shaun Moss

shaunmoss71 at gmail.com