One-shot Delimited Continuations with Effect Handlers

森建 moriken at kimamass.com
Tue Nov 6 09:44:30 UTC 2018

React Hooks, a new feature of React v16.7.0-alpha, is a hacky implementation, so there are restrictions that must be called in order.
https://reactjs.org/docs/hooks-rules.html

One of React members says below:

 > Finally, if you’re a functional programming purist and feel uneasy about React relying on mutable state as an implementation detail, you might find it satisfactory that handling Hooks could be implemented in a pure way using algebraic effects (if JavaScript supported them). And of course React has always relied on mutable state internally — precisely so that you don’t have to.

https://medium.com/@dan_abramov/making-sense-of-react-hooks-fdbde8803889

IMHO, it's worth considering that we'll include Algebraic Effects specifications in ECMAScript.