Native Tensor support

Robert Eisele robert at xarg.org
Sun Jan 28 15:54:34 UTC 2018

The capabilities of the language itself are growing with each version.
It's not that the first version of JavaScript would not be appropriate
for today's web applications, but since we identify regular patterns in
a language, we are able to add more layers of abstraction. But not only
syntactic features can be abstracted to describe what the programmer
wants with as little code as possible to give the engines more room for
optimization, also the standard library should get extended. And I mean,
it gets extended quite a lot - so tensors could be just one of these
additions.

The link of J Decker is a good starting reference
https://github.com/yiransheng/tensor-ops-js

It's not hard to use the features of JavaScript to implement a library
like this. The hard part is to make an API like this as fast as possible
to meet future demands for web applications. And this is the purpose of
a standard library: 1) Providing regular functionalities without the
need of external dependencies (e.g. libraries) and 2) Making them as
fast and accurate as possible on a given machine.

And I think all these points make tensors a good fit for Web Assembly.

Robert